Gerard Kelly was responsible for the complete refurbishment to its original condition of a Georgian house in Edinburgh's New Town.  Built about 1725, the building interiors had been mostly lost when it was used as an office building.  

 

After its purchase by Barnardo's, it was restored with much help from Historic Scotland and the late Desmond Hodges OBE, the then chairman of the Edinburgh Conservation Committee and is used as an administration base for two of Barnardo's projects; the basement was converted into a 'drop-in' centre as part of Barnardo's local '16+ Project'.

 

Upon 'opening up' the building, it was discovered that the carpenters whoo had worked on it originally were shipwrights from the nearby port of Leith, which was amajor shipbuilding centre in Georgian times, because of the very high standard of the structural timber work; floor joist were connected to the timber beams with three-sided dovetail joints.

 

Print Print | Sitemap
The content on this site is © Gerard Kelly Architects.